17 Reasons Why Bodyweight Strength Training ROCKSBy Alex On November 6, 2010 Under bodyweight strength training
Sometimes things come your way and they warp your whole mindset.
I was reading an article on ESPN the other day and there was an article entitled “Why Being A SportsCenter Anchor Rocks”.
And in the article, they listed reason after reason why being an anchor on SportsCenter is awesome — and when I was done, you know what I wanted to be? A SportsCenter anchor! (shocker, right?)
But it got me thinking with all this talk of bodyweight training lately and all the different reasons why bodyweight training is so friggin’ awesome. And while there are probably 12,000 reasons why bodyweight training is so killer, here were the first 17 that came to mind:
17 Reasons Why Bodyweight Training ROCKS
1. You don’t ever need any equipment for bodyweight training. No gym membership, barbells, dumbbells, Bowflexes, Shake Weights, shakers, blenders, gadgets, widgets, etc. As long as you have a body, you’re gonna get a GREAT workout in.
2. You can do bodyweight training anywhere you want. Because you don’t ever need any equipment, you can do an entire fat-burning or muscle-building bodyweight workout anywhere.
In your living room, front yard, park, bedroom, driveway, basement…I even know one guy who does bodyweight exercises in the middle of a busy street if he feels like it (he’s one those people who likes being weird though, just because you can do bodyweight exercises anywhere doesn’t mean you SHOULD).
3, I can’t really put my finger on it, but there’s something about bodyweight training that always makes you feel just GOOD during and after the workouts…it’s like you’re one with the universe and you’re doing what humans were designed to do, being outside and challenging your body in a natural way — NOT with metal, man-made pieces of equipment.
4. Some really special bodyweight strength training exercises just look awesome, and make you look awesome.
Try this: Go into a normal gym and while everyone else is doing the same normal weights, machines and stretches, you jump in there with Dive Bomber Pushups and Jumping Lunges and notice the looks you get (they’re usually a mix of “what the hell is that” and “why does that look like so much more fun than what I’m doing right now”).
5. Herschel Walker, the former NFL star running back was notorious for being a huge bodyweight training proponent in his day and predominantly used bodyweight training for all of his workouts (legend has it he never even touched a weight until he hit the NFL).
That’s Herschel above sprinting in college…it’s even been reported that he’s done this simple and insane bodyweight workout every morning since high school and still continues to do it today:
6. Bodyweight training is easier on your Central Nervous System (CNS) and doesn’t tax a lot of your finite resources. This way, your bodyweight workouts leave you feeling energized and focused instead of tired and fatigued. And that increase in energy and focus allows you to spend MORE time working on your sport-specific skills and playing your sport…that, my friend, is a win-win.
7. Almost all bodyweight exercises have a joint-mobility component to them, so while you’re strengthening and burning body-fat, you’re also increasing your body’s flexibility and mobility, which is GREAT for long-term joint health and just making you feel soothing good all over.
8. Olympic Gymnasts use almost ALL bodyweight exercises and have some of the most sought-after physiques in the world. Look at this guy’s body — and that was ALL built through just bodyweight training:
9. Because bodyweight exercises are so easy to do, can be done anywhere and are often done for high-reps, they’re perfect for HIIT protocols and as you probably know, high-intensity interval training (HIIT) workouts are the BEST way to turn your body into a fat-burning machine (or toaster as my good buddy Craig Ballantyne would say) 24 hours ’round the clock…imagine that: your body burning up your stubborn body-fat storages 24 hours a day, while you work, sleep, watch TV, whatever…burning off body-fat the whole time.
10. Speaking of Craig Ballantyne, CB is a leading Men’s Health Magazine expert and creator of the TurbulenceTraining.com empire and is ALWAYS touting the benefits of bodyweight training. Craig’s written something like 200 different workout programs and almost ALL of them include some bodyweight training program — that is NOT by coincidence…it’s because bodyweight training gets you results in each and every way possible.
11. Bodyweight training is safe for athletes of ANY age. There’s always lots of heated debates about when kids are ready to start lifting weights, but with bodyweight training, anyone of any age can safely start working out without any concern for injury or stunted growth. Read that again: Bodyweight training is PERFECT for athletes of ALL ages and levels.
12. Bodyweight workouts give you a GREAT reason to go to the park or beach…I know, I know, who needs a reason to go to the park or beach, but if you’re anything like every person I’ve ever met, you don’t get out to places like that as much as you like and bodyweight workouts are a kick-ass reason to go. There’s something really cool and refreshing about lacing up your kicks, heading out the door, jogging to the park a couple blocks away and challenging your body with a killer bodyweight training session in the great outdoors.
13. Because you don’t need any equipment and anyone of any age can get a great bodyweight workout, it’s a great incentive to get the family together for a workout. The workouts are fast-paced and challenging, no one has to wait for someone else to finish on a machine and it’s a great opportunity for a parent to bond with a son or daughter over a fun, healthy activity.
14. Navy Seals, Secret Special Agents and Elite Military Units all use bodyweight training in their workouts, mainly because 1) Bodyweight training is a really functional way of training and it matches a lot of the dangers and obstacles these guys face on a daily basis in their assignments and 2) because their travel schedules are so hectic, they usually don’t have access to all the equipment they might need, so instead of ever needing to worry about it, they just crush it out with some killer bodyweight workouts.
15. All of the most “in-demand and ripped” celebrities are using bodyweight training today: Usher, Jason Statham, even 50 Cent. In fact, I just read that Usher only recently made the switch to almost all bodyweight training when he decided to really step his game up. What do you think?
16. Let’s face it: Girls like guys with ripped bodies. And vice-versa: Guys like girls who are lean and toned up. And in my professional experience, everyone who is proficient with bodyweight training always seems to have that “ideal” body-type or at least something close to it.
17. I just released a brand-new workout program called, “The 4-Week Bodyweight Boost” and it rocks. And since it’s ENTIRELY bodyweight training and it rocks, through some sort of twisted logic, it easily fits on this list
Seriously though, the just released “4-Week Bodyweight Boost” is a fast-paced, challenging series of workouts using ONLY bodyweight exercises that’ll have you stronger, leaner AND quicker just 4 weeks from now.
Check it out:
Also, this program is from INSIDE the Speed Secrets Inner Circle Vault and because, ya know, it was theirs originally, I can’t just give it out forever…so there WERE 200 copies available a couple days ago and now (checks the counter on the site), there’s a little more than 91 copies left.
If you want to get in on this Bodyweight action awesomeness, I’d head on over there FAST.
Hope you enjoyed the post. Talk soon.
Your in Speed and Quickness,
P.S. There’s a crazy story about how The 4-Week Bodyweight Boost was born.
Find out what it is (if you dare):